How to Use ChatGPT for Sales
What Is ChatGPT?
You may have seen the headlines:
“Why Everyone’s Obsessed With ChatGPT, the Mind-Blowing AI Chatbot” – CNET
“Why tech insiders are so excited about ChatGPT, a chatbot that answers questions and writes essays” – CNBC
“The Brilliance and Weirdness of ChatGPT” – The New York Times
So, what’s the big deal?
The big deal is that until now, most AI tools have been underwhelming at best. The output for narrowly defined tasks was usable, but the scope was limited and everything seemed like it was generated by a robot, which it was.
But ChatGPT is A LOT smarter. Developed by OpenAI, ChatGPT is an advanced language model. It is based on the GPT (Generative Pre-trained Transformer) architecture. GPT is trained on a vast amount of text data and can generate human-like responses given a prompt or a conversational context. It is designed to understand and generate coherent and contextually relevant text, making it useful for a wide range of natural language processing tasks, including chatbots, virtual assistants, content generation, and more. ChatGPT can engage in interactive conversations, provide information, answer questions, and assist with various inquiries, leveraging its understanding of language and knowledge from its training data.
Granted, the software has only been trained on information up to 2021, so there are knowledge gaps. OpenAI is up front about its limitations, which include “ChatGPT sometimes writes plausible sounding but incorrect or nonsensical answers” and “While we’ve made efforts to make the model refuse inappropriate requests, it will sometimes respond to harmful instructions or exhibit biased behavior.”
Benefits of Using ChatGPT in Sales, According to ChatGPT
I decided to give ChatGPT a try. I signed up and entered this query: “Write a blog post about how to use ChatGPT for sales.”
This is what it returned:
If you are looking to improve your sales process and increase your sales productivity, you may want to consider using a tool like OpenAI’s ChatGPT. ChatGPT is a large language model trained by OpenAI that can assist with a variety of tasks, including sales. Here are some ways you can use ChatGPT to help with your sales efforts:
- Generate personalized and engaging sales scripts: ChatGPT can help you create personalized and engaging sales scripts that can be used to effectively communicate with prospects and customers. By providing ChatGPT with information about your product or service, as well as your target audience, it can generate scripts that are tailored to your specific needs and that are designed to appeal to your audience.
- Answer frequently asked questions: ChatGPT can be a valuable resource for answering common questions that your sales team may encounter during the sales process. By providing ChatGPT with information about your product or service, as well as common objections and concerns that prospects may have, it can generate answers to these questions that can help your sales team to overcome objections and close more deals.
- Provide training and support: ChatGPT can also be used to provide training and support to your sales team. By providing ChatGPT with information about your sales process, as well as common challenges and obstacles that your sales team may face, it can generate personalized training materials and support resources that can help your team to improve their skills and increase their sales productivity.
Overall, ChatGPT is a powerful tool that can help your sales team to be more efficient and effective. By leveraging the capabilities of this large language model, you can improve your sales process, generate more leads, and close more deals. So, if you want to take your sales to the next level, consider using ChatGPT to help you achieve your goals.
Creating Relevant Revenue Enablement Content with ChatGPT
Many workplaces are buzzing with excitement over this new tool, and Allego is no exception. In the marketing team, we regularly use it to develop eBook outlines, email subject lines, event descriptions, and more. It is a great starting point for all types of marketing content.
“If you haven’t heard of ChatGPT, be sure to check it out. It’s an AI engine that will do what you tell it to do,” said Deniz Olcay, senior director, product marketing at Allego. “I think we have an opportunity to use ChatGPT to create content that will be highly unique and relevant in the enablement market. There are so many applications of the ChatGPT technology to sales prospecting, marketing messaging, and other areas to make teams more productive.”
Key Features of ChatGPT for Sales
Natural Language Processing
Natural Language Programming (NLP) is an area of research and development that focuses on creating programming languages and systems that allow humans to interact with computers using natural language instead of traditional programming languages. NLP makes it easier for non-programmers to communicate their intentions and requirements to a computer system.
NLP can be used in a variety of applications, including chatbots, voice assistants, and programming interfaces that allow users to write code using natural language instructions.
ChatGPT uses NLP techniques such as language modeling, contextual understanding, and sequence generation to provide meaningful and contextually relevant responses to user inputs. The powerful tool provides answers in real time, and it “remembers” past conversations, making it easier for you to have conversations with it.
By leveraging ChatGPT in sales, organizations can get data-driven recommendations and analysis. It allows sales teams to make decisions based on facts rather than feelings or hunches.
For example, you can use ChatGPT to analyze large volumes of customer data, including demographics, purchase history, and online behavior to help you better understand your customers and create more accurate customer profiles.
ChatGPT can also analyze unstructured customer data, such as product reviews, social media posts, and email engagement. This will help you better understand your customers’ needs, preferences, and pain points.
You can then use that information to improve targeting and personalization, which leads to an improved customer experience, greater customer satisfaction, and higher sales.
Integration with CRM Platforms
CRM providers, such as Salesforce, HubSpot, and Microsoft Dynamics, have started integrating ChatGPT into their platforms, allowing sales teams to elevate their productivity to a whole new level. Benefits of integrating ChatGPT with CRM platforms include:
- Efficient Lead Management: ChatGPT can assist in lead management by automatically qualifying and scoring leads based on conversation analysis. It can engage with potential customers, ask relevant questions, and capture essential information to assess lead quality. This helps sales teams prioritize leads and focus on those with higher conversion potential.
- Personalized Customer Interactions: ChatGPT can be trained on CRM data to provide personalized responses and recommendations to customers. It can access customer details, purchase history, preferences, and other relevant information, enabling sales representatives to have more meaningful and tailored conversations. This personalization can enhance the customer experience and increase the chances of closing deals.
- Real-time Sales Support: ChatGPT can act as a real-time sales support tool by providing instant access to product information, pricing details, and inventory availability. It can answer common customer queries, assist with order tracking, and address frequently asked questions, reducing the sales team’s workload and enabling them to focus on more complex sales activities.
- Automated Follow-ups: ChatGPT can automate follow-up processes by sending personalized messages or emails to prospects and customers. It can remind sales representatives to follow up with leads at specific intervals or based on predefined triggers. This ensures that leads don’t fall through the cracks and helps maintain consistent communication with potential customers.
- Data Insights and Analytics: By analyzing customer conversations and interactions, ChatGPT can extract valuable insights and trends. It can identify common pain points, frequently asked questions, and emerging customer preferences. These insights can help sales teams optimize their strategies, refine their messaging, and identify upselling or cross-selling opportunities.
- Workflow Automation: ChatGPT can automate routine tasks within the CRM platform, such as data entry, scheduling appointments, or generating quotes. By handling these administrative tasks, sales representatives can spend more time on active selling activities, leading to increased productivity and efficiency.
ChatGPT can be used to uncover and analyze sales analytics by leveraging its natural language processing capabilities and ability to process and generate text-based information. Here are seven steps to use ChatGPT for uncovering and analyzing sales analytics:
- Collect the relevant sales data that you want to analyze. This can include information such as sales transactions, customer data, product details, marketing campaigns, and any other relevant data points.
- Clean and prepare the data for analysis. This may involve removing duplicates, handling missing values, standardizing data formats, and transforming the data into a suitable format for analysis. You can use data cleaning and preprocessing techniques such as data normalization, outlier detection, and feature engineering.
- Clearly define your analytical objectives. Determine what specific insights or questions you want to address through the analysis. For example, you might want to understand the sales performance of specific products, identify key customer segments, analyze the impact of marketing campaigns, or forecast future sales.
- Interact with ChatGPT by providing it with queries related to your sales analytics objectives. You can ask questions about specific trends, patterns, correlations, or predictions related to your sales data. For example, you can ask about the top-selling products, customer behavior based on demographics, the impact of pricing changes, or any other relevant sales-related queries.
- Analyze the responses generated by ChatGPT to gain insights into your sales data. Extract and interpret the relevant information provided by the model. ChatGPT can generate descriptive statistics, trend analysis, predictive analytics, and even provide recommendations based on the information you provide.
- Create charts, graphs, or dashboards to present the analyzed data in a visually appealing and informative way. Visualizations can help you identify trends, outliers, and patterns in your sales data.
- Continuously refine your queries and analysis based on the insights gained from previous interactions with ChatGPT. Ask follow-up questions to dive deeper into specific areas of interest or to validate initial findings.
Keep in mind that ChatGPT is an AI language model and may not have access to real-time data or domain-specific knowledge beyond its training data. Therefore, it’s important to validate the generated insights and analysis against actual data, existing knowledge, and industry expertise.
Examples of ChatGPT Sales Prompts
Before you begin entering prompts into ChatGPT, here are a few things to keep in mind:
- Be as specific as possible with your ask.
- Provide all the relevant information: buyer persona, buyer pain points, your product and features, industry, size of companies you’re targeting, tone, results you hope to receive, etc.
- Follow up. If you don’t get what you’re looking for in the first response from ChatGPT, follow up with specific prompts or questions to drill down further and get a better answer. For example, if the response is too long and too formal, enter these follow-up instructions: “Can you shorten the email and make it crisper and to the point? Add emoji where you can.”
ChatGPT Prompts for Lead Generation
Cold email lead generation:
You are going to launch a cold email campaign to a list of 100 prospects who are chief revenue officers, chief sales officers, and sales enablement directors at B2B companies in the United States that have 50-249 employees.
Write a cold email to them about our service: modern revenue enablement from Allego. Write the email in a clear and compelling manner. Make it sound natural. Vary the sentence lengths. Do not use cliche or cheesy sales lines.
Follow-up phone call after cold email:
(Enter this prompt after ChatGPT provides results for the cold email.)
Write a script for making follow-up phone calls after our cold email outreach.
The script should be friendly yet professional, addressing any potential concerns and offering clear next steps.
Personalized LinkedIn outreach:
You’re going to create a LinkedIn outreach campaign, targeting prospects who are chief revenue officers, chief sales officers, and enablement directors at B2B companies in the United States that have 250-plus employees.
Write a LinkedIn message to a chief revenue officer at technology company about the Allego modern revenue enablement platform that brings together sales, enablement, and marketing teams to deliver better experiences to customers and buyers that result in faster sales cycles and increased revenue.
Keep the word count to 100 words. Vary the sentence lengths. Keep the tone upbeat and sound natural.
ChatGPT Prompts for Objection Handling
- Generate a list of [number] objections for [product/service] that prospects may have and how to overcome them.
- How can I handle objections from a customer who thinks our prices are too high?
- How can I respond to a prospect who says, “Now isn’t the right time to talk”?
- How can I respond to a prospect who says, “We’re already working with [enter competitor here]”?
ChatGPT Prompts for Following Up with Prospects
Follow-up email after a phone conversation:
- Generate a friendly follow-up email for a salesperson who had an initial phone call with a potential client interested in website design services. Keep the message to 200 words or fewer and vary the sentence lengths.
- Create a follow-up email for a B2B sales rep reminding a prospect about the report [title of the report] the sales rep shared regarding [report topic]. Keep the tone friendly. Limit the message to 250 words and vary the sentence lengths.
- Create a friendly follow-up email for a software sales rep to remind a prospect about a product demo [include details about the software’s functionality] they attended last week. Limit the message to 250 words and vary the sentence lengths.
- Write a follow-up email and a subject line.
Use sentences of different length and make the tone friendly. Limit the email length to 200 words.
The email is being sent to [prospect name, title], who is interested in reducing the number of sales tools [the prospect’s company] uses and installing a revenue enablement platform that brings together sales, enablement, and marketing teams to deliver better experiences to customers and buyers.
Thank them for talking this morning, mention [pain points discussed] and express how I think our platform will address those issues, as well as reduce costs.
Include the next step of scheduling a demo.
ChatGPT Prompts for Qualifying Leads
- What are some best practices for qualifying leads when targeting financial institutions for cybersecurity sales?
- My company sells [description of your solution].
I want to sell our solution to [target audience/persona, type of company, size of company]. What questions should I ask potential buyers to uncover pain points and priorities to decide if they are a sales-qualified lead for my product?
The Future of ChatGPT in Sales
Since ChatGPT debuted, several other companies have added generative AI to their software, including these:
Not only that, but researchers have created Auto-GPT, an experimental open-source application, driven by GPT-4 and GPT-3.5, that chains together tasks. It automates the multi-step prompting you must currently do with ChatGPT. To use it, according to a TechCrunch article, “a user tells Auto-GPT what their goal is and the bot, in turn, uses GPT-3.5 and GPT-4 and several programs to carry out every step needed to achieve whatever goal they’ve set.”
Auto-GPT interacts with apps, software, and services (online and local) to develop its answers.
For example, Auto-GPT could:
- Examine a sales team’s processes and make intelligent recommendations on how they could be improved.
- Conduct market research on your competitors.
- Analyze customer feedback and provide insights.
- Do sales prospecting for you and compose an outbound email to send to the prospects it finds.
The experimental app has some challenges and limitations. It can be costly to run, and it has some technical flaws. But it’s a sign of what is to come as generative AI continues to develop.
Advanced Personalization and AI-Driven Sales Strategies
Using ChatGPT, marketing teams can create personalized content, messaging, and product recommendations based on buyers’ preferences, browsing history, and other data. This hyper personalization enhances the buyer experience, increases engagement, and improves conversion rates.
Companies can also use AI-driven chatbots to enhance the buying journey and scale its sales team. In this scenario, chatbots use generative AI to replicate the behaviors of top sales reps. Doing so further personalizes the experience and increases engagement, which leads to higher conversion rates.
By taking account the conversation history and the current conversation, ChatGPT can have context-aware conversations. That means the responses are more relevant and accurate. This allows you to have a natural conversation with it. Further, when generative AI like ChatGPT is used in a chatbot on your website, the bot has natural conversations with prospects and behaves based on the stage of the buying journey where the prospect is.
It’s important to note, however, that the technology cannot reason like humans. It works with the data it has been given and the training conducted with it. So, while it can answer high-level questions, it cannot respond with questions that delve deeper into buyers’ challenges and concerns.
Enhancing Sales Team Productivity
ChatGPT automates many routine tasks sales reps must do, such as entering prospects’ names and titles into your CRM and tying them to the right opportunity, qualifying leads, scheduling reminders, writing follow-up emails, and responding to frequently asked questions.
By automating those tasks, sales reps can spend more time with buyers, providing consultative services and nurturing the relationships.
In fact, an article published by People.ai reports, “Gainsight saw a 15% increase in sales rep productivity after implementing an AI-based platform that automated business activity and contact capture as well as opportunity matching within Salesforce. This resulted in 20% of a rep’s time given back to them to re-focus their efforts around proven sales activities rather than more data entry.”
Get Started Using ChatGPT
If you haven’t signed up to use ChatGPT yet, head to https://chat.openai.com/ to check it out.
You can also download this eBook The Complete Guide to AI for B2B Sales to learn how to improve sales training, sales coaching, and sales results with AI.